- About us
- Strategic Forum
- Innovation Academy
- EU Projects
Industrial Networks and Intelligent Systems
Submit an article to EAI Endorsed Transactions on Industrial Networks and Intelligent Systems
The fast development of information technologies (e.g., ubiquitous computing, cloud computing, semantic web, big data and cyber-physical system) as well as all kinds of communication technologies (e.g., control network, communication network, sensor network, body area network, social network, opportunistic network, cloud-based network, etc.) has recently emerged and applied in various industries, ranging from traditional ones like textile industry, coal industry, mining industry, steel industry, machinery industry, petrochemical industry, to newer and broader-sense ones like biomedical industry, aviation industry, software industry, service industry, etc. Assisted by various information and communication technologies, automation in industries can reduce costs and increase reliability because of enhanced control, integration, and optimization of goods production and service delivery. However, the industrial environment features extreme temperature, humidity, electromagnetic interference and vibration as well as the globalized economic environment is equally dynamic and harsh, which poses extra constraints to management and planning. Such constraints call for the criticality of the design, analysis and implementation of intelligent systems and networks to satisfy the requirements of various stakeholders with an interdisciplinary approach.
This journal is committed to the timely publication of the latest research and developments in the broader and interdisciplinary areas of industrial networks and intelligent systems. Full papers, letters, surveys, as well as essays are welcomed. All submissions will go through a rigorous peer-review process, and be reviewed by expert referees and evaluated by the editorial board. The scope of the journal includes, but is not limited to:
- Applications of wireless sensor networks, body area networks in large-scale industrial applications, such as fault theories of wireless networks, including routing, network control and management, reliable transmission and architectures, etc.
- Applications of social networking, big data, ubiquitous computing, mobile computing, and cloud computing in various industries and services (e.g., intelligent systems enhanced by social networking, cloud-based industrial networks, cloud-assisted intelligent systems, etc.)
- Analysis of industrial control and communication networks, including network lifetime, security, network scalability, reliability, stability, etc.
- Design and choice of industrial, intelligent, application-specific network protocols and algorithms (e.g., EtherNet/IP, Ethernet Powerlink, EtherCAT, Modbus-TCP, Profinet, SERCOS III, etc.) at any communication layer
- Opportunistic networks in the industry, such as underwater sensor networks in sewage treatment systems, including establishing a temporary data transmission structure using available devices (e.g., underwater robot, surface data station, surface sink and under water sink), optimizing horizontal multi-hop data links (e.g., 3D data transmission), etc.
- Applications of intelligent systems in various industries, including collaborative systems, quality control, optimization, decision support, planning, high-level control concepts (e.g., multi-agent and holonic systems, service-oriented architectures), low-level control concepts (e.g., IEC 61131-3 and IEC 61499-based control), advanced system engineering concepts (e.g., model-driven development, component-based design), supply chains, value chains, virtual organizations, and virtual societies, emergency preparedness, crisis management, business channels, electronic marketplaces, enterprise resources planning, etc.
- Design and analysis of real-time embedded industrial systems, including real-time computing, real-time operating systems, real-time communications, networked embedded systems technology, etc.
- Novel control techniques, with respect to process control, equipment control, supervisory control, adaptive control, motion control, etc.
- Automated manufacturing systems, regarding formal modeling and analysis of manufacturing systems, scheduling of manufacturing systems, queuing systems and petri nets in manufacturing systems, etc.
- Computational intelligence in automation, including neural, fuzzy, evolutionary approaches in automation, ant colonies optimization and swarm intelligence in automation, machine learning, expert systems, etc.
- Hardware and software design and development for intelligent systems, such as intelligent and humanized production monitoring and control, etc.
- Big data analysis and processing in various industries and services, including constructing data analysis models, providing data analysis and processing tools and designing various optimization algorithms based on data analysis.
- Crowd-sourced behavior analysis in various industry and services, such as measuring and calculating the diffusion direction and speed of gas in the petrochemical industry based on crowd-sourced data from a large number of and various types of sensors, as well as product and service evaluation.
- Simulation and testbed of current industrial networks and intelligent systems, including network performance analysis, automated manufacturing, intelligent monitoring, disaster prevention, etc.
- Vision of future smart factories, service, marketing, and their integration, incorporating current existing technologies.
- Multimedia applications, content management, process management and knowledge management for various industries, services, and engineering education: including multimedia processing, multimedia retrieval, multimedia indexing, image sensing, image processing, image coding, image recognition, etc.
- Pattern recognition methods for various industries and services: including statistical theory, clustering, similarity measures, unsupervised learning, supervised learning, etc.
- Survey, review and essay of current industrial networks researches and intelligent systems development.
Lei Shu, received Ph.D. degree in National University of Ireland, Galway, Ireland, in 2010. Until March 2012, he was a Specially Assigned Researcher in Osaka University, Japan. Since October 2012, he joined Guangdong University of Petrochemical Technology, China as a full professor. He is the founder of Industrial Security and Wireless Sensor Networks Lab: www.scholat.com/team/